Belly Dance, Then and Now:
Outside the Middle East
Table of Contents
Through Foreign Eyes
ABOUT THE PHOTO: This is a still from the 1896 short clip of Fatima filmed by Thomas Edison.
- Quiz. Tackle these 14 questions to
test what you know of belly dancing, Middle Eastern culture,
and music. Are you as knowledgeable as you think you are?
- A Glossary Of Middle Eastern Dance
Terms. Contains a list of more than 60 terms related to belly
dancing along with their definitions and guidelines on pronunciation.
- "The Oldest Dance"? Really??? How to determine which claims of belly dance history are plausible.
- Yes, But Is It History? By Brea Morgiane. A historian's advice on how to determine fact from romantic thinking.
- Clip Art For Dancers. Online clip art collections. The best
is a royalty-free collection of 68 clip art images related to
belly dancing created by Me'ira for you to use on your web site,
in your newsletter, on your flyers, or other places where you
need a little artwork. Also includes pointers to several other
- Quotations About Dance. A potpourri
of what well-known dancers, choreographers, and others have said
about dance. Note that this is not limited to Oriental dance--the
quotes come from people of all dance disciplines (Oriental, ballet,
PHOTO CREDIT: Photo by Pixie Vision Productions, Glendale, California.
- Styles Of Belly Dance In The United
States. Describes three styles
of belly dancing that are popular in the United States:
American Oriental, American Tribal, and Egyptian Oriental.
- Part 1: Introduction, Overview, Historical
- Part 2: Troupe/Solo, Choreography/Improvisation,
- Part 3: Veil Work, Finger Cymbals,
The Music, Type of Dance Moves, The Costume, Performance Venues,
Props, Other Dance Styles
- What Is Pharaonic Dance? What
does it mean when a dancer says she performs "Pharaonic"
dance, and where can you see performances of it?
- Belly Dance in Ancient Egypt, Part 1:
Are They Really Belly Dancing? By Andrea Deagon. Part 1 of this article. It examines depictions of dance from ancient Egypt and analyzes whether any show evidence of belly dance.
- Belly Dance in Ancient Egypt, Part 2:
Are They Really Naked? By Andrea Deagon. Part 2 of this article. It examines the use of nudity in Egyptian art.
- Fellahi Dance: What Is It? By Shira. Where did this dance style and its costuming come from, and what is the dance itself like? Placed online March 7, 2016.
- History of Tray Dancing in North America. By Shira. Which North African dance genre inspired the use of trays in North American belly dancing? Placed online May 28, 2016.
- Of Ballet and Belly Dancing. How much influence has ballet really exerted on belly dance?
ABOUT THE PHOTO: Photo of Arabella wearing a Pharaonic costume that she made.
This entire web site is copyrighted. All rights reserved.
All articles, images, forms, scripts, directories, and product reviews on this web site are the property of Shira unless a different author/artist is identified. Material from this web site may not be posted on any other web site unless permission is first obtained from Shira.
Academic papers for school purposes may use information from this site only if the paper properly identifies the original article on Shira.net using appropriate citations (footnotes, end notes, etc.) and bibliography. Consult your instructor for instructions on how to do this.
If you wish to translate articles from Shira.net into a language other than English, Shira will be happy to post your translation here on Shira.net along with a note identifying you as the translator. This could include your photo and biography if you want it to. Contact Shira for more information. You may not post translations of Shira's articles on anybody else's web site, not even your own.
If you are a teacher, performer, or student of Middle Eastern dance, you may link directly to any page on this web site from either your blog or your own web site without first obtaining Shira's permission. Click here for link buttons and other information on how to link.